I finally got hold of my new phone, or phablet that is, after my Iphone ended up in the toilet by mistake. But can Samsung drive a long lived wedge in my Apple life? And what about the size of the huuuge phone?
On paper there seems to be a huge problem with Samsung Galaxy Note II – it`s size. But my transition from Apple to Samsung is also an experiment to see if a phablet can do the job of both the phone and the tablet.
After playing with the gigantic phone for some time, I am still not able to answer the question above. But I think I am ready to pass the first judgement when it comes to the size of the phablet.
This is the facts:
- Does it fit a mans pocket? Yes, no problem there.
- Does it fit my pocket when I sit? Yes, but I prefer to take the phone out since it is difficult to get it out of the pocket while sitting depending on the type of pants.
- Does it fit a womans pocket? Probably not.
- Can you operate it with one hand? Barely, depending on the app. You need a pretty large hand to reach the adress bar in the browser with the same hand as you are holding it with. You also need to balance it differently for reaching contacts in the phone mode which makes it harder to use the phone while handling a grocery bag. But I learnt the balancing act pretty quickly.
- Does it look ridiculous talking with a phablet? Making phone calls with a Galaxy Tab looks pretty lame, but the the phablet is still shorter than my office phone, so no.
Stay tuned for more updates on the the social and technical sides of my Apple free experience.